University’s event management and protocols unit are responsible for the production of events from conception through to completion. Events can include :
- exhibitions and fairs;
- MoU & MoA signage;
- promotions and product launches;
- fundraising and social events; and
- guiding events protocols.
The role of event organiser is hands-on and often involves working as part of a team. Event organisers must be able to complete a wide range of activities requiring clear communication, excellent organisational skills and attention to detail. The UTM event management unit always work hard in ensuring the smooth and efficient running of an event.
- liaising with clients to ascertain their precise event requirements;
- producing detailed proposals for events (e.g. timelines, venues, suppliers, legal obligations, staffing and budgets);
- agreeing to and managing a budget;
- securing and booking a suitable venue or location;
- coordinating venue management, caterers, stand designers, contractors and equipment hire;
- identifying and securing speakers or special guests;
- planning room layouts and the entertainment programme, scheduling workshops and demonstrations;
- coordinating staffing requirements and staff briefings;
- liaising with marketing and PR colleagues to promote the event;
- liaising with clients and designers to create a brand for the event and organising the production of tickets, posters, catalogues and sales brochures;
- coordinating suppliers, handling client queries and troubleshooting on the day of the event to ensure that all runs smoothly;
- overseeing the dismantling and removal of the event and clearing the venue efficiently; and
- post-event evaluation (including data entry and analysis and producing reports for event stakeholders).